Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Part that makes Movies look good...


Its a lie if I say that I always wondered how they were able to obtain the sounds for different 'things' and objects, even some animals that in reality do not even exist. But once I realized that there are movies with sounds that just doesn't exist in reality, I wondered how they thought of the ideas on how to do what they have done. Watching the many different genre of films, especially in the Indian Film Industry I became keen to what the director/editor wants us to hear because there can be a scene where they are showing someone washing dishes, but you only hear the dialogue, and other scenes when you are able to hear little details, which then shows the significance of that object in that scene. But of course watching to see how each sound was thought of and made for such classic movies like The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars is even more fascinating.
The internet has everything. That is a statement often used and we take granted for it also. When I was watching the making of the two movies, and specifically of The Lord of the Rings, I was so surprised to see that they were so honest with any of the sounds that they obtained for the movie, and I feel like this is probably because we are so influenced with the fact that if you want some song or anything, you can simply go onto the internet and find it, and then even use it if you need to for something. The sound directors took care of each little detail for the sounds and they were also very creative. I think the fact that they were so creative with the sounds by mixing them and using animal sounds that doesn't even relate to the animal in our mind was fascinating. After watching the making for the sounds for that movie, I wished that I could see how other movies and shows are able to use their sound effects with such great ability that everything seems quite real.
Not only is sound editing important, but in general the editing of the clips is such an intricate job. There are countless of scenes where I remember that the actress had her hair to one side, and in one glance her hairstyle has changed. Well thats extreme, but little things that change once the camera just turned is exciting for me and to some extent also makes me realize that this is definitely not reality.I also can appreciate those scenes now that have a little segments of just showing the same scene but from different perspectives. The fact that the editor can think of something chronological for the audience and actually make everything look very smooth is impressive.
The scene below doesn't exactly have creative sounds, but it does seem to have some sound effects that are trying to convey the message of emphasizing what is happening in the scene. As the subway is leaving, you can hear every detail that is going on in the surrounding in fact the sounds of the bus is in a way is the dialogue for this scene.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice example ... I think it's perfect for illustrating the fact that sound is intentionally designed, not just allowed to be whatever it was at the moment of filming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this part in the movie. Good choice :)

    ReplyDelete